Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stableford Handicap Scoring
08-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Stableford Handicap Scoring
The CONGU and EGA handicap systems use the net double bogey for determining when handicap points will not be scored.

A player receiving 2 strokes on par 3 hits their drive OB. Presently, they could play 3 off the tee and still get handicap points for taking up to 6 strokes gross.

As you know, stableford is probably the most popular format of social golf in Europe.

Have you any thoughts about this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
RE: Stableford Handicap Scoring
This player should taking greater care to avoid hitting his ball out of bounds or losing it lest he squander his two handicap strokes.
08-05-2013, 01:15 PM
(08-05-2013 09:18 AM)DavidHayes Wrote:  This player should taking greater care to avoid hitting his ball out of bounds or losing it lest he squander his two handicap strokes.

David, when even top professionals occasionally manage to hit their balls out of bounds, why not be a little kinder to the relative beginners or higher handicappers Undecided ?
08-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't see this as being unkind to anyone -- each player has a disincentive to hit his ball out of bounds.
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
David, if you think that players can stop hitting their balls out of bounds or lost because of the penalty in the simple Golfrules, why don't they stop themselves doing so? Surely they don't do so on purpose! It is just the same as seeing your ball end up in a water hazard or unplayable. Bad luck? Yes, probably. The Rules should allow for mishaps.
08-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm not suggesting that the players are hitting balls out of bounds on purpose.
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
With this project, David and I looked only at the Rules of Golf. We did not look at the various handicap systems. A good case could be made for a uniform handicap system around the world, as the current situation of several different systems can't be desirable. While it would be instinctive to apply the current allocations allowed for Stableford, some revision may be needed if such a format and points system were adopted.

Please also keep in mind that the points system proposed in Code Two allows one more point than the current Stableford (e.g., under Code Two, a double bogey earns the player one point, whereas in Stableford he would earn no points).
08-05-2013, 05:01 PM
It may be a disincentive but for the majority of players (18+) the punishment (adjustment) is out of proportion to the crime (any possible advantage). I don't think no score for OB on a tight par 3 will find many takers on this side of the pond.

As you will know, the idea of a common handicap system is already being investigated.

However, this is the only major sticking point I have so far - except the possibility of bifurcation.
08-05-2013, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 10:10 PM by Simonko.)
I think the crimes are big, for wayward shots lead to:
  • houses and cars off the course damaged,
  • people on adjacent fairways hit, and
  • fields held up with constant searching for balls.
Zero points hopefully will provide enough incentive for those who hit and hope to club down. At the moment they don't because they have handicap strokes to cater for it and the glory of 4-5 points is worth taking the chance.

IMO zero points is the most brilliant part of Code Two and can rescue the game from the bomb-and-gouge affair it has become. It can take the financial pressure off owning the latest driver and radically reduce ball costs.

But I do believe it will be a very tough sale. Not only will high markers dislike it (at first), club manufacturers will hate it, especially the CEO of Taylor Made who already wants the USGA & R&A removed and drops at the 'point' of OB/loss (I wonder why? ).
09-26-2013, 05:44 PM
I would want a chance on a short par 5 to make a bogey and still get a point if my tee ball goes OB. This rule is fine at an Erin Hills style course with OB not found, but take it to an Florida course cut through the homes and cart paths just off the fairway that propel shots OB, one should still have a chance. In match play, one May putt the whole way just to finish the hole to win it.