Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Code 2 Match Play
08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Code 2 Match Play
Forgive me if I have missunderstood the proposed scoring for Match play under Code 2. It seems to me that if a side incures the general penalty of "no score for the hole". and as stated in R2-1
In match play, each hole is treated as a separate competition and is won by the side that earns more points at that hole
And
[i]1-3. Failure to Hole Out

A player who fails to hole out at any hole earns no points at that hole. [/i]

Does this mean that in Match Play if a "side incurs the "no points" penalty, the opposition has to carry on play to at least get 1 point so as to win the hole?
If they do not complete the hole then as far as I can see they also will have "no points"
If so I do not see this as contributing to faster rounds, but to slower ones.
Would it not be simpler to make the general penalty in Match as "Loss of hole" as it is at present?
Don

uʍopǝpısdn plɹoʍ ʎɯ pǝuɹnʇ ǝʌɐɥ sǝlnɹ ʍǝu ǝsǝɥʇ llɐ
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: Code 2 Match Play
Don,

Your interpretation is correct: 0 points halves the hole against 0 points. We do not think that this change will slow down rounds.
Find all posts by this user
08-06-2013, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 09:33 PM by Simonko.)
The majority of 'no point' penalties will come from OB and lost balls. If A drove OB, it would be quicker for B to play the hole alone than both A and B as is the case with now the RoG.

If OB was loss of hole, it would be a serious disadvantage to play first.

If a lost ball was loss of hole and both A and B drove wayward, each would delay starting their search so their 3 minutes didn't run out first Smile
08-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Simonko, while we did not go through that reasoning I wholeheartedly agree with it.

Eliminating the general penalty differences (LOH vs. 2ps) in the two forms of play was an early decision for us so we did not have the need to explore the issue the way that you have.
08-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Having thought about it in the light of responses, I can go with it, Just thought that under present rules a loH penalty would just mean pick up and move on.
Don

uʍopǝpısdn plɹoʍ ʎɯ pǝuɹnʇ ǝʌɐɥ sǝlnɹ ʍǝu ǝsǝɥʇ llɐ
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2013, 04:57 AM
(08-06-2013 04:58 PM)DavidHayes Wrote:  Don,

Your interpretation is correct: 0 points halves the hole against 0 points. We do not think that this change will slow down rounds.

So a putt cannot be conceded? If this is the case, I have no doubt play will not be slowed except at the green end of the game, unless of course both players lose their ball off the tee.

I do like the idea of no need for provisional play.

Ciao
09-26-2013, 06:03 PM
I also wonder about how important the order of play is. Wonder if i won the last hole, if I should be able to tee off second on a hole with allot of OB or lost ball opportunity.