Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rule 4-3, Damaged clubs: Repair and Replacement
08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
RE: Rule 4-3, Damaged clubs: Repair and Replacement
Johanna -

That is certainly a tough situation - as extreme and unfortunate as possible. I once had to tell a player in a collegiate event that he was disqualified for the same reason, and, in those particular facts, could not help but wonder if the punishment fit the crime. However, as there is not a clear and defensible place to draw a line elsewhere for a different conclusion, I resigned myself to the position that the answer is necessary, no matter how harsh it may seem occasionally. For example, if a player slammed her sand wedge against a cart path in anger and in so doing changed the lie or loft of the club (which could be a benefit), we would likely be more uncomfortable with allowing her to continue to use that altered club.

Part of my concern with allowing a player to use a club that was damaged other than in the normal course of play is that doing so would undermine the prohibition against purposely changing a club's playing characteristics. I do not mind (in fact, I like) the notion of players' needing to be careful with their clubs. In your case, for example, the player was not guilt-free (no matter how much we feel for her); she did two things she should not have done - bent the putter shaft and then used the bent putter. The Rules are somewhat kind in that they do not provide for a penalty for unintentionally changing a club's playing characteristics (so she had the opportunity to avoid a penalty after she bent the shaft).

Best regards,
John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rule 4-3, Damaged clubs: Repair and Replacement - John Morrissett - 08-19-2013 02:13 PM