Discussion
Wrong ball - Printable Version

+- Discussion (http://simplegolfrules.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Code Two (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Wrong ball (/showthread.php?tid=5)

Wrong ball - forrest mc - 07-31-2013 11:44 PM

I would have concern in eliminating a penalty for a wrong ball violation as given in Code Two. It seems there could present the occasion when a competitor sends a "convenient nearby" wrong ball greenward to test club selection. If the player claimed "wrong ball" ,12-3, then practice during round, 5-2, becomes contentious.

RE: Wrong ball - DavidHayes - 08-01-2013 08:45 AM

(07-31-2013 11:44 PM)forrest mc Wrote:  I would have concern in eliminating a penalty for a wrong ball violation as given in Code Two. It seems there could present the occasion when a competitor sends a "convenient nearby" wrong ball greenward to test club selection. If the player claimed claimed "wrong ball" ,12-3, then practice during round, 5-2, becomes contentious.

Eliminating this penalty falls under the general theme of 'no penalty for accidents.' A player who seeks to circumvent the rules in the manner that you've suggested should be disqualfied (Code Two: Rule 27-4).

RE: Wrong ball - forrest mc - 08-01-2013 02:10 PM

Couldn't agree more to the DQ for the rule circumvention, if evidence or testimony proves the matter. Lacking evidence or testimony, the competitor gets a 'get out or jail free' card.

RE: Wrong ball - DavidHayes - 08-01-2013 02:47 PM

Forrest,

Your concern reminds of one PGA TOUR player's concern over the 2008 change to Rule 12-2 (the change that permitted lifting a ball for identification when it lay in a hazard). This journeyman player was very concerned that this change to the rules would lead to players lifting the ball for the purpose of improving their lie (while claiming to be lifting the ball for identification). To date I'm not aware of there being any such problem with that change.

In my experience through my own play and discussing the rules as an employee at the USGA, attempts at circumvention of the rules simply do not happen that often. I would be willing to risk this change and then deal with any problems if (when) they arise.

Thanks for your comments.

RE: Wrong ball - aaa - 08-05-2013 03:01 AM

Cheats will cheat regardless. 27-4 should be all that is required.